Monday, September 26, 2011

Side Table Makeover

Hi, long time no blog! I'm really excited to share one of my newest projects with you and even more excited that it cost me nothing!


I inherited this little table from a friend who was moving and it has been sitting next to this chair as a junk catcher for 2 years.....so it was in need of some serious love. I started by giving it a good sanding with some sandpaper....just enough to get the shine off the laminate and help the paint stick. I didn't worry about completely sanding down the water damage on the top because I figured it just added to the character.


I put on a coat of primer and then a coat of Rustoleum Heirloom White spray paint with a satin finish. I have got to tell you......I LOVE Rustoleum spray paint!! It goes on so quickly and evenly that I only had to do one coat on this little table!


After the paint dried I went back with my sandpaper and roughed up the edges to give it a distressed look. And then I grabbed some stain that I used on my dining room table and used a rag to wipe it all over.......but I forgot to take pictures......sorry! Just rub on the stain and wipe it off until you get your desired look. After everything was dry I slapped on a coat of polycrylic just to protect the top from more water damage.


So here she is in all her distressed beauty!



Now my lovely little table actually looks like she belongs here instead of just being thrown back in the corner for a time out!


On another note, I'm posting a few pictures of this cute fall vase I made for my mantle that, again, cost me nothing! I'm only posting the after pictures because my camera refuses to let me get my other pictures loaded on the computer. I started with my vase, candle, pinto and navy beans, and some empty ribbon spools. I put the ribbon spools in the vase until I got the right height I wanted for my candle and then just filled in with the beans. And I finished it off with a raffia bow! I've been seeing similar things on Pinterest (don't you just love Pinterest!) and as soon as I saw this vase sitting looking very lonely on my shelf I knew exactly what I was going to do with her.....I hope you enjoy!




Hope you find something crafty to do today! And Happy Fall!!

1 comment: